On and off the needles…

It is a while since I last wrote about anything woolly, so I thought I would do a bit of a round up of my recent knitting adventures.

I am generally quite a slow knitter, so it was a pleasure to buck this trend by rattling off some smaller pieces for my sister. She has alopecia universalis and was in need of some more hats to add to her growing collection. It gave me the opportunity to dive into my yarn stash and make use of various bits and pieces to produce these two beauties:

The red hat is The Yarniad’s Nola Cloche pattern. I have had this beautiful red marl yarn for years – so long in fact that I have lost the yarn collar with all the details, but I know it was from the Woolen Rabbit. It was great finally to be able to use it to make this fun period piece.

The green hat is Interweave’s Lucy Hat pattern, made with Stylecraft Special DK. I chose these colours to go with this Leventry scarf which I made last year and thought Rachel could use:

I was also able to make these fingerless mittens with some left-over WYS yarn from the Leventry project. Rachel wanted some mittens with a longer wrist section. This Purl Soho pattern was perfect, as well as being wonderfully simple!

But that’s not all! I very much enjoyed making this lace shawl, using Rowan Fine Silk for my lovely Mum:

It took me most of last year, with plenty of knitting progress made while we were on holiday in September. But it was exceptionally pleasing to work on – complicated enough to hold plenty of interest, while also being rhythmic and fairly easy to remember. This meant that I did not have to undergo too much in the way of mental gymnastics while working on it – always a bonus!

And finally, here’s a picture of a small collar being blocked. This was another ball of yarn from the bottom of my stash, also from the Woolen Rabbit. I had always been hesitant about knitting it up because it seemed too nice to use!! Anyway, I needed some knitting to take away with my on our Paris trip last autumn. So I grabbed this yarn and a copy of VeryBusyMonkey’s Geology Shawl. I have to say this was one of my favourite knits ever – and I have done a LOT of knitting over the years! The pattern is extremely well constructed and explained. There are a number of interesting stitch patterns, which emerge gradually as you work through the pattern (click on the image for a closer look). I am delighted with the result.

So what now, you may ask.

I have become increasingly frustrated with this stash of Rowan Calmer yarn, which I bought years ago for a crochet project that I changed my mind about.

I have since tried to use it for various different patterns, always feeling rather dissatisfied with the results. I decided to give it one last go before passing it on. And although it is early days, I have a good feeling about this pattern. It is a Brooklyn Tweed throw called hourglass.

As you can see, I am only just past the ribbed edge, but I am already very pleased with the feel of the yarn, the stitch definition, and a sense that this might turn out to be something rather beautiful after all. We shall see…

And I have also repurposed some cotton yarn I bought last year for a little cardigan which I could not get to work out as I wished. After several froggings, I decided to find a different pattern, so this is the start of my work on the Monterey Tee pattern. Again, I am liking this so far – we’ll see how things go. (By the way, the burgundy yarn is my provisional cast on waste yarn, but it looks pretty groovy!)

So there you have it. I must confess to being quite chuffed with all of this and look forward to sharing another update with you in due course. Meanwhile, here’s a final picture of my Mum, this time nice and cosy in a jumper I knitted possibly about 30 years ago!!

Thanks go to her and my sister for being such charming models and greatly enhancing this post! πŸ™‚

34 thoughts on “On and off the needles…

1. Joan says:

Rachel and I are lucky to have these lovely things to wear and I am even more lucky to have other cosy things in the wardrobe. Well done Liz and thank you for our presents. Xx

Wow , everything is so pretty. You are a wonderful knitter, brilliant hats and scarves. Love them all. And your mum still wears your jumper from such a long time ago. Fantastic. Really beautiful on beautiful models too! I made loads of the fingerless mittens as I love them longer on the wrist. I also gave some away. I got my self now 2 pairs left which I use regularly!

So many lovely things and what beautiful models you found! My mother came to lunch on Christmas Day wearing a shawl I had knitted for her about thirty years ago too! It is looking a little tired now (but then so am I!) but I am so proud she still uses it.
    Like Carrie, I’d love to knit and crochet again but time and stiff hands are an issue at the moment.

Thank you Clare. So lovely to hear about your Mum’s shawl wearing, but sorry to hear about your poor hands. Does the cold weather make them worse? Here’s hoping you can find some respite (I would say fingers crossed but that might not help!). πŸ˜€πŸ’•

• Clare Pooley says:

πŸ˜€ Haha! Damp or humid weather is worse than cold weather but they aren’t too painful these days, fortunately. They were damaged by the arthritis many years ago and are stiff and a bit crooked that’s all. xx ❀ xx

Oh Liz, such beautiful pieces! (And such beautiful models!) I would dearly love to make any one of them – yet here I am, still not able to find my way back to the knitting bug. One day, hopefully. And in the meantime, I’ll knit vicariously through you πŸ™‚ I especially love the geology shawl. And I most need Rachel’s red cloche and the hourglass throw. They both look so warm and stylish! Thanks for showing us πŸ™‚

Thank you Sandra! Sorry to hear that you continue to be in the knitting doldrums, but your mojo will return when the time is right I am sure. I would urge consideration of the geology shawl as a small, easy, yet highly engaging project, which might get you going again. πŸ™‚ x

Your models are beautiful and show off your work to great advantage! You’ve accomplished so much and it’s fun to see it all in one place (although maybe some of us feel like slackers, by comparison!) I really like the creamy lace shawl you made your mom–that suits her perfectly!

Lol! It is highly unusual for me to be this much of a completer-finisher, which is, I think, why I felt able to celebrate! I’m usually much more likely to be in the slacker gang!! πŸ™‚

Thank you Melissa – and apologies for allowing some jargon to slip into my post – so easily done! It sometimes helps to start a knitting project with a row of stitches that can easily be picked up again at the end – eg if you are not sure how long you want the piece to be. In such cases, you knit the first row of stitches with yarn other than your main yarn (ie the ‘waste’ yarn) – this will be discarded later, after you have picked up the starting stitches to finish the project. It usually helps to use waste yarn that is in complete contrast to the main yarn so that you can see easily which stitches need to be picked up. Hope that makes sense! πŸ™‚