“Snow is exhilarating”

Sunshine is delicious, rain is refreshing, wind braces us up, snow is exhilarating; there is really no such thing as bad weather, only different kinds of good weather.” ~ John Ruskin

I wonder if folk who live in places which are regularly and deeply snowy get bored of it – contempt breeds familiarity and all that?

For me, seeing snow never fails to delight. Yes, it can be a pain to get out and about. But there is nothing to compare with the thrill of seeing any kind of landscape, urban or rural, under a blanket of white. Everything changes: sounds are muffled; the air smells crisp; ordinary objects take on sculptural qualities. I love it!

We’ve had a couple of snowy days here in Edinburgh.

After all that busy-ness, things settled down beautifully.

The city looked gorgeous. Below, you can see the Castle, and Arthur’s Seat.

Hub and I had great fun tramping across the grassy areas of this park, where the snow was still powdery – just like big kids!

And I’ve had even more fun playing around with an appย on my iPhone called Adobe Capture, which uses the phone’s camera to create the most marvellous kaleidoscope pictures. Here are just a couple of examples.

From this shot (yes, I know it looks a bit dodgy)…..

….you get this:

From this (it pays to turn the camera this way and that)….

…comes this:

And to finish off, a particularly icy, snow-flaky result from this shot:

Isn’t that just so fabulous? It is utterly addictive! Almost as mesmerising as the weather itself. ๐Ÿ™‚

27 thoughts on ““Snow is exhilarating”

1. Claire 'Word by Word' says:

Wow, wonderful kaleidoscopic effects! And a few days of snow being around is rather delightful, though I wouldn’t like to live in it permanently, unless I was born in it, it’s hard to adapt to climatic differences, even living her in the south of France I have trouble adapting to to the freezing temperatures of winter and that inclination to hibernate, because we never hibernate in the southern hemisphere and so tend to resist it here or just get frustrated, until we realise there’s nothing to be done, but to adapt and learn to go with it.

2. Cafรฉ Society says:

You see I donโ€™t call that snow. Just before Christmas we had fifteen inches in less than fifteen hours. That is snow. And even that pales into insignificance when set against Canadian friends who have three times that amount recently. I think our attitude to snow depends a lot on the extent to which it impinges on our lives. Personally I wouldnโ€™t complain if I never saw any again. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Wonder no more–yes, we get bored with. I feel exhilarated every year when it starts and then find it quite tedious for the next 3-4 months (as in, right now!) The kaleidoscope app looks pretty cool!

Lol – I should have known to ask you outright! And yes, that app is such fun – a great way to generate ideas for textiles…..!! ๐Ÿ˜‰

I’m with Rachel – #desperateforsnowdownhereinCornwalltoo! This very morning when I opened the door to let the cats out first thing I was SO excited. We had a sprinkling of snow! I took pictures of it despite it still being dark outside. Once it was light I discovered that what I thought was snow was actually hail – a covering of frozen spheres! Not quite the same. I’m like a big kid with the snow… provided I don’t have to travel anywhere! I live in hope that we’ll see a snowfall here one day. Meanwhile, your photographs are beautiful, Liz. And the app is very cool!

5. valeriedavies says:

ravishing pictures Liz… I simply love snow and snow scapes… i saw some pics of the Cambridges on their tour of Norway, and the pristine snow and fir trees bending over with the great weight of it looked absolutely beautiful