His ‘n’ Hers Part II

img_3707

Yum!  The Back to Backs sweet shop

In my last post, I wrote about our recent weekend visit to Birmingham.

On the Sunday, while Hub was enjoying his second day at the Warley National Model Railway Exhibition, I met up with a friend who lives near by.

We spent the morning on a tour around the fascinating Back to Backs preservation area.

An amazing site, these types of buildings are an iconic part of Birmingham’s working-class history.  The National Trust has restored the last courtyard still standing, to reflect the lives of people living there in the 1840s, 1870s, 1930s and 1970s.

Understandably, we were requested not to take photographs of interiors, but here are some images of the exteriors:

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

My friend and I had arranged to meet at New Street Station, which I featured in my last post.  While I was waiting, there was an announcement about a steam train which was about to depart.  I raced down to the platform and was in time to get to the front.  Here is a short piece of footage showing the double-headed train going past me.

It was quite scary, with the engines thundering by so closely.  I could feel the immense heat from the tanks as they went past – incredible!

But how nice, I thought, that I was enjoying an activity similar to that of Hub’s, even though we were several miles apart.  I am obviously a convert…! 🙂

25 thoughts on “His ‘n’ Hers Part II

Thank you Eleanor! Yes, it was so lucky that I just happened to be on the station at the precise moment the train cam through – one of those wonderful happenstances in life! 😀

1. Joan Hudson says:

Great video, Liz. Well captured. I have really clear memories as a five year old being taken by steam train to Devon by my grandparents. I can still recall the sound, sight and smell of the steam as the train was primed to leave. Xx

It was a really fascinating visit, and I highly recommend it. So interesting to see how ‘normal’ people were living, in contrast to the aristocratic lifestyles one learns about in stately homes.

2. Clanmother says:

You have the best times! There is something about steam engines and trains that remind me of Christmas. I think it is the idea of travelling. Here’s a thought for you,

“My heart is warm with the friends I make,
    And better friends I’ll not be knowing,
    Yet there isn’t a train I wouldn’t take,
    No matter where it’s going.”
    Edna St. Vincent Millay, The Selected Poetry

3. clarepooley33 says:

I am married to a steam-train enthusiast and I now find that I have to look at the transport section in second-hand bookshops in case an interesting train book is lurking there! I enjoy all his DVDs not for the technical stuff but for all the social history evident in the films. Your video is very good!
    I would love to visit the back-to-backs too. We visited Blists Hill Industrial Heritage Museum in Shropshire a few years ago and they have streets of houses and shops full of old-fashioned wares. My husband loved the ‘Puffing Billy’ replica that was on show there at the time.

Another thing we have in common Clare! I usually find myself looking for cards with trains on – it has become quite a challenge to find ones I haven’t used already. And yes, like you, I am happy to watch steam-related stuff with Steve. I can usually knit away while taking a general interest. I’m sure you would find the back to backs really fascinating. We went to Blist Hill many years ago and enjoyed it very much. The thing about both venues is the access to ways in which ‘every day’ people lived, in contrast to the aristocratic lives of those living in stately homes. Both are engaging but in different ways.