January’s Reading Round UP

I can’t believe it is the start of Februay already.  January seems to have whizzed by.

So here I am, already into month two of my year of challenges and trying new things.  One such area is reading.  You can see more about the two reading challenges I have set myself here, and here.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

In summary, this is my ModernMrsDarcy ‘category’ list:

• A book published this year:  The Pier Falls by Mark Haddon
    • A book you can finish in a day: Ethan Frome by Edith Wharton
    • A book you have been meaning to read: Guernica by Gijs van Hensbergen
    • A book recommended by your local librarian or bookseller: In the light of what we know by Zia Haider Rahman
    • A book you should have read in school: Silas Marner by George Eliot
    • A book chosen for me by someone else (in my case by a dear friend):  For all the tea in China by Sarah Rose
    • A book published before you were born: Waverley by Sir Walter Scott
    • A book that was banned at some point: Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
    • A book you previously abandoned: Gilead by Marilynne Robinson
    • A book you own but have never read: H is for Hawk by Helen Macdonald
    • A book that intimidates you: Salem’s Lot by Stephen King
    • A book you have already read at least once: An equal music by Vikram Seth

I wrote about H is for Hawk here. February’s read is Guernica for two reasons: I am keen to start it; and I happen already to have a copy, so I can crack on. Also planned are We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves by Karen Joy Fowler and Do No Harm by Henry Marsh.

If I am to meet my 50+ books read target, I need to read on average one book per week.  I am already behind this rate, but am on the verge of finishing a couple of books which will help me begin catching up.

In progress are:

I am reading The Cat Burglar with my niece Lucy.  We get together weekly via FaceTime.  We both have copies of the book, and usually take it in turns to read aloud to each other, although I am pleased to say that Lucy is enjoying this one so much that she has been doing all the reading so far!

For the record, having started Where My Heart Used To Beat by Sebastian Faulks at the start of January,  I got about 75% through, but realised that it was becoming a slog. Life is too short to read anything that one is not enjoying.  So I abandoned it!

I continue to gather details of many, many books that I would like to read – both fiction and non-fiction. I am not likely to have a problem finding books to fill up my time or my 50+ quota – quite the opposite. The difficulty, albeit a happy one, will be in the choosing! 😀

21 thoughts on “January’s Reading Round UP

1. melissabluefineart says:

So many books, so little time! I have a full list of my own, and it doesn’t include any of yours! Oh, no! They all look good. I think I’ll go pick up H is for Hawk today at the library.

I like your style, too. Wouldn’t it be grand to hop on a plane to go visit the painting? 🙂

Wow you read a lot, I wished I had the time, I love reading too, I just finished my German crime book. I can recommend the Dalai Lama’s cat, a great read. You might know it already!

3. clarepooley33 says:

Until about twenty years ago I would read every book to the end even if I began to really dislike it. I felt it was doing the author a disservice if I abandoned the book and I am also quite stubborn and don’t like giving up. I now give up reading books I dislike because life really is too short. I also take a little more care in choosing books to read in the first place. I try to go out of my comfort zone every now-and-then but not as often as I used to. I am often given books as gifts and these can be a bit of a challenge – I don’t like to upset a friend by leaving their gift unfinished but I also sometimes wonder why a book was thought to be my kind of book!
    I read much less than I used to as my family duties have got greater as time has gone by. I also spend more time on-line than before.
    I hope you enjoy your February reads!

Such interesting comments, Clare, thank you – I can totally relate to everything you say. Like you, I once would plough through every book but came to see that this made reading rather unpleasant from time to time. And yes, books as gifts are a mixed blessing, aren’t they! Re more time online, I also recognise this. In fact it is one of the motivations behind setting myself reading goals – to try to marshall my time more effectively. It has so far worked, because I have noticed myself saying ‘right, enough of Facebook (or whatever) – time to read’! 😀

I love the idea of reading Facetime sessions. I must try that with my mother. This past week I have been reading Dickens ( Our Mutual Friend) over the phone to my daughter, at her request. We’ve also been discussing the War and Peace series you told me about.

You are welcome, Cindy. I have added your When Breath Becomes Air recommendation to my ‘must read’ list, so we are swapping titles! 😀📖